[tor-mirrors] ADD toric.allthatnet.com

andrew at torproject.is andrew at torproject.is
Thu Feb 13 02:51:27 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:34:15PM -0500, tor at allthatnet.com wrote 2.0K bytes in 0 lines about:
: Yes, I think it is nice to get credit for offering something free, which
: is why I added a signature at the bottom. I offer both relays and mirror

Your domain name and org name in the listing is the credit. We can't have
mirrors modifying the html, otherwise it's not a true mirror. What you
do with your directory listing, of say /dist/, is open to interpretation.

: I guess the question I have regarding the mirror website then is if I
: want to keep the signature, *can I still run a mirror without having it
: listed or will someone claim copyright and bug me about it?*

Anyone can run a mirror, but if it isn't listed, it's unlikely anyone will
trust it. In the past we have used our registered trademark to remove
unofficial mirrors which injected their own text, ads, or swapped
binaries. Mirrors should serve byte identical files to master, that
is torproject.org. It's how some users verify that they are not being
MITM by their OS, ISP, or government.

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475