[tor-l10n] L10n updates in the Tor Project Thank you

tor l10n team tor-l10n at lists.torproject.org
Thu Mar 25 17:16:32 UTC 2021

Good Morning
I can help with the following languages: English and Portuguese, but
for the most part, I can't understand you email because I can only
type, edit, create, write...I know nothing about the technology behind
it, sorry about that, but if I can be of any help, please give me
directions regarding what you want me to translate, keeping in mind
that I would have to forward this to someone, since I can't use any
computer language to upload anything.
thank you for your time and courtesy reading my email and the work you
doElizabeth
 Sent using Hushmail
On 3/25/2021 at 1:25 AM, "tor l10n team via tor-l10n"  wrote:Hello
fellow translators:
I am back coordinating the localization on the Tor Project, and I hope
to make myself useful on bridging the developers with the translators.

Once suggestion from ErinM from the Localization Lab is to send
monthly updates about the l10n situation, so here goes the first:

Reviewers needed:
-----------------
We need reviewers for all languages, because soon we will only publish
reviewed translations, this is safer and also improves the
translations.

If you want to review your language, please get in touch with Erin
from Localization Lab.

Docs:
-----

I have updated the documentation for translators at:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/l10n/-/wikis/Localization-for-translators
Please have a look if you are translating for the Tor Project.
There is also a section for reviewers:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/l10n/-/wikis/Localization-for-reviewers
And also one for Tor Project developers:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/l10n/-/wikis/Localization-for-developers

Another great resource for learning to translate like a pro is the
Localization Lab guide at:
https://wiki.localizationlab.org/index.php/Translation_and_Review_Guidelines

Tor Browser User Manual
-----------------------
We have made several updates to the text, and also added new sections.

We need to complete the translations for the already published
languages: Italian, Spanish, French, Catalan, Bengali, Irish,
Macedonian, Romanian, Thai, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Chinese Hant,
Hebrew, Indonesian, Icelandic, Persian. And of course this is a very
important resource for all the other languages as well.

Please translate here:
https://www.transifex.com/otf/tor-project-support-community-portal/translate/#resource/tbmanual-contentspot
And if your language has not been published already, you can see the
preview at:
https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/tor-browser-manual/translations/
Tor Project Website
-------------------

Same as the manual, we need translations for the last updates,
especially: ca,fr,is,it,ka,pt-BR,ru,tr,zh-CN because they are already
published.

You can translate at
https://www.transifex.com/otf/tor-project-support-community-portal/translate/#resource/tpo-contentspot
 and preview at
https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/tpo/translations/
Gettor website
--------------

The website for gettor (https://gettor.torproject.org/) is ready for
translation at
https://www.transifex.com/otf/tor-project-support-community-portal/gettor-website-contentspot/
Preview at https://lektor-staging.torproject.org/gettor/translations/

Gettor is tor-as-a-service: you can send an email and the server will
give you a link to download tor browser.
It is important for places where some Tor Project websites may be
blocked.

It is a very small website (only one page). You can report source
string problems at :
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor-web

Donation page
-------------

The donation page is done with other software now, so I have removed
the translations and I will add the new translation files in a while.
Lets hope the memory helps us.
Russian locale
--------------

The Russian volunteers went and got some funding to translate Tor.
great idea! be like the Russian Translators.
Well, maybe you don't get funding, but please remember we will be OK
if you do.
Argentinian locale
------------------

finally, last month i lived a difficult moment when i finally decided
to remove the es_AR locale. It was difficult because the translators
were so committed and  you can see that the language is actually
different, and it felt patronizing/colonizer to remove it. But the
rationale was:
- we are not enough translators/reviewers to maintain several versions
of Spanish
- if we are going with the local Spanish dialects, will we get
translations for all the countries?
- the Spanish translation sometimes appears as es_ES because of
software limitations, but it is not the Spain locale. It only needs to
be understood by all Hispanohablantes, or Spanish speakers.
- with this decision, i hope we can have a well maintained locale that
all the Spanish or Castellano speakers can understand.
- i think this decision is realistic in term of the translation of Tor
Project software and documentation, but I would not act like that when
translating a novel or poetry.

I apologize to the Argentinian translators that felt 'colonized' by
this event and i hope we can work all together on a locale for all
hispanoparlantes that will include more people.

Screenshots
-----------

I have added more screenshots for the Tor Browser strings, but some
are hard to get, especially the ones showing errors. I cannot always
reproduce the errors to take the screenshot.
A new translator told me her computer was struggling when translating
'in the screen' with transifex. Do you use this feature? Does it work
for you? Should I stop adding screenshots?

Our space on Tor Bug Tracker
----------------------------

I want to point you to the bug tracker about localization, at
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/l10n/-/issues

You can see what are our next plans regarding l10n, and also our
current issues.

I also have a board to catch all the l10n issues across other teams:
https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&label_name[]=Localization

OK, i hope you find this report interesting, please don't get offended
and if you do, please write me an email. i tried to make it funny, but
i can also be more serious.
Also: feel free to answer to this email with your ideas or plans for
translation.
Thanks for reading and translating!

emmapeel - localization coordinator.