[tor-dev] Proposal for Tor (Relay) Watchdog (Telegram) Bot

Alessandro Greco alessandro.greco.1 at protonmail.com
Wed Apr 24 12:58:18 UTC 2024

Dear Tor Project Developers,

I hope this email finds you well. I am writing to share with you a project [1] I have been working on called Tor Watchdog Bot [2], and I believe it may be of interest to you.

Tor Watchdog Bot is a Telegram bot designed to monitor the status of Tor relays and notify users when relays go offline. The intent behind creating this bot was to develop a user-friendly tool that allows anyone to easily keep track of their Tor nodes.

I am fully aware that the bot is not currently ready for public release as it requires several bug fixes and improvements. Before proceeding with further development, I wanted to ensure that this project aligns with your interests and goals. In order to prioritize user privacy and security, I did not activate the backend feature with the actual functionality; instead, I activated a demo that always provides the same results but allows users to understand the type of response they would receive if it were active.

In the README.md file, you will find detailed instructions on how to set up and test the bot. If you find this project interesting and believe it could be beneficial to the Tor community, I would be delighted to see Tor Project host this service. However, I understand the importance of avoiding any form of user profiling, so I want to ensure that any potential hosting solution prioritizes user privacy.

The code for Tor Watchdog Bot is released under the GPLv3 license, so you are libre to use and modify it as you see fit. I would be thrilled to contribute to the development of this project if it aligns with your vision.

Thank you for considering this proposal. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback.

Best regards,
Aleff.

[1] https://github.com/aleff-github/TorWatchdog
[2] https://t.me/TorWatchdog_bot

---

Browse my WebSite: aleff-gitlab.gitlab.io
Use my PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7CFCE404A2168C85
Join to support:
- Free Software Foundation! (my.fsf.org/join?referrer=6202114)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation! (eff.org)
- Tor-Project (torproject.org)
- Signal (signal.org)