[tor-dev] Network Health team and analysis work

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Jul 6 10:49:52 UTC 2023

Hello everyone!

The Network Health team is best known for its work in the bad-relays
area and being concerned with providing metrics + keeping an eye on the
health of the Tor network. While that involves doing analyses to answer
our own questions it was not clear so far what we should do with
questions about the network or available data which got raised by other
teams (i.e. you). Should we do those analyses as well or should we just
provide the necessary data and each team then tries to answer their
questions by themselves? This got raised a bunch of times in the
past[1][2] and I am happy to announce that the Network Health team is
stepping up and helping you with your analyses, if desired.

The idea would be that we'd do the analysis work in those cases, alone
or together, and accumulate/improve a set of scripts and tools over time
at a single place, so that both we and other interested parties can do
those analyses faster and better in the long(er) run. The tools should
be open so that other folks can help improving and shaping them
according to their needs.

We have a dedicated analysis project[3] where we track all analysis
related issues and which contains tools and documentation about how to
use them for our work. If there is any analysis work you would like us
to get done, please file a ticket in that project. If you did a similar
analysis in the past by yourself we'd love to hear about it as it might
speed up our work and we could build documentation out of it and add
available code to the analysis project. Additionally, please assume we
are no experts in your area of work, but don't hesitate to file tickets
because of that. We'll ask if things are unclear. :)

To get your analysis questions answered in a timely manner it would
greatly help if they were attached to some sponsored work as that makes
it usually easier to justify picking them up among all the other things
on our plate. Additionally, emergencies (like new blocking events in
country X) should be easily justifiable as well, in particular as we
have a "surprise 'anomaly analysis' on the network as needed"-item on
our roadmap throughout the year. I plan to make sure that we have
sufficient spare cycles available for that work should it be needed. If
your desired analysis does not fall into either of those categories
don't despair, we'll try to find a way to get it done nonetheless.

Thanks,
Georg

P.S.: If you are not part of any of our teams but want to do an analysis
by yourself or just note an analysis idea somewhere, feel free to start
by filing a ticket in the analysis project as well. Others might just
jump on it and get it done because they might be curious about the
answers themselves. :)

[1]
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/metrics/relay-search/-/issues/40019
[2]