[tor-dev] Simple tool for mobile remote desktops

Micah Elizabeth Scott beth at torproject.org
Mon Jan 23 17:16:22 UTC 2023

Hello,

This is an almost trivial utility but I hadn't seen anything quite like
it so maybe other folks will find it useful:

https://github.com/scanlime/onion-desktop

"This is just a toy for now. I wanted to get a feel for the interactive
performance of onion services, and it's perhaps sometimes useful if
you'd like to share a disposable slice of your computer with a phone
when they're both behind NAT.

This is a very simple Docker container that runs an xfce4 desktop,
novnc, and tor. It will randomly generate a new onion service URL and a
VNC password, and show you a tmux with session logs on the left and a
big QR code you can scan on the right."

Nothing too fancy, just some shell script and Docker and a lot of
Debian. The readme has a couple screenshots if you're curious.

Cheers,

--micah beth