[tor-dev] Release new version of stem

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Sep 19 07:31:22 UTC 2022

Hefee:
> Hey,
>
>> That is tricky as stem is not maintained anymore and therefore
>> deprecated.
>
> That is a pitty. It would be nice if you can actually make this obvious on the
> git repo like "currently stem is unmaintained and therefore deprecated" and
> maybe search for people in the community to take over - maybe ask people from
> onionshare?

We don't have access to the official repository on Github. We've had
done it otherwise. For the taking over part it seems atagar replied
already, great.

> Especially as stem is still marked as the way to interact with tor via python.
> Like it was done on this ml in August:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2022-August/014768.html
>
>> There are no further releases planned ahttps://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2022-August/014768.htmlnd talking to atagar
>> last time he said the master branch was not ready for release. We could
>> think about minor point releases for the 1.8 series but those would just
>> contain small bug fixes (like Python 3.10 compatibility) but no new
>> features.
>
> Having a way to work with Python 3.10+ is still great but will not help for
> our use case as onionshare using the feature of client auth v3.

That's right. atagar: what about this: it seems you already created a
separate branch with the change needed by the onionshare folks (nice!).
Would you mind creating a point release (or 1.9) so the Debian folks can
pick that up, including the Python 3.10 compatibility fix as well? I
think that would be the easiest short-term solution to the problem hefee
came up with.

Thanks,
Georg