[tor-dev] Release new version of stem

Damian Johnson atagar1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:40:59 UTC 2022

> > That is tricky as stem is not maintained anymore and therefore
> > deprecated.
>
> That is a pitty. It would be nice if you can actually make this obvious on the
> git repo like "currently stem is unmaintained and therefore deprecated"

Hiya. Just a minor terminology correction: Stem is unmaintained but
not deprecated. The later implies that there's a replacement. There's
other options [1] but for most of Stem's features it's the only game
in town.

> maybe search for people in the community to take over - maybe ask people from
> onionshare?

If someone's serious about it we can talk but properly maintaining
Stem is a lot of work [2][3].

> Especially as stem is still marked as the way to interact with tor via python.

As far as I'm aware it is.

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://stem.torproject.org/faq.html#are-there-any-other-controller-libraries
[2] https://github.com/torproject/stem/issues/97