[tor-dev] Firefox Add-on for torrc functions of Tor Browser

Alessandro Greco alessandrogreco at autistici.org
Thu May 19 13:45:07 UTC 2022

Premise: I had already tried to write to this mailing list, I apologize
if I send another email.

Hi everyone I created a Firefox extension a few week ago that allows
users to use some of the Tor Browser torrc-related features through a
simple and intuitive graphical interface, like Orbot App -> settings.

The project is under development but I would like to share it with you
proposing to include it in the tor-project project so that it can be
useful and reliable for anyone who wants to use it.

The extension is currently functional and allows the modification of the
following features:
- Changing the origin of EntryNodes (+ StrictNodes).
- Changing the origin of the ExitNodes (+ StrictNodes).
- Exclusion of nodes relating to a given origin on the whole circuit.
- Exclusion of nodes relating to a given origin on ExitNodes.
- Exclusion of unrecognized (non-geolocalizable) nodes.
- Section dedicated to the torify shell command (under development).

But in the last few days I have noticed that in reality the most useful
and requested features by any user are only the following:
- Changing the origin of the ExitNodes (+ StrictNodes).
- Exclusion of nodes relating to a given origin on the whole circuit.
- Exclusion of nodes relating to a given origin on ExitNodes.

The extension currently requires the launch of a local script that
allows communication between the extension and the torrc file.
This is another reason why your control and consent is useful, in order
to prove to users the script does not include malicious code.

The code is obviously Open Source and I hope you can consider this
project which aims to contribute to the use of Tor-Project and to the
development of new features.

That said, Tropea is in an experimental phase and clearly presents all
the problems of an early stage of development.
I want to say that if on your part there may be interest in this project
then I would be happy knowing that it can be considered by your
development team, otherwise it makes no sense on my part to continue to
make improvements.

--
Regards,
Alessandro Greco.

Browse my WebSite! (autistici.org/aleff)
Join the Free Software Foundation! (fsf.org)
Support Electronic Frontier Foundation! (eff.org)
Browse Privately. Explore Freely. (torproject.org)