[tor-dev] [dappy] Willing to chat with tor devs, about name system issues/solutions

Raphaël Fabre contact at fabco.tech
Sun Mar 27 20:50:25 UTC 2022

1) the purpose of trusting a network company is a replacement for having to trust a unique company, which is basically how the DNS works. You have a .com or .net you trust Verisign + your registrar + the DNS resolver of your clients. In dappy those three things disappear, and are melt into a dappy network member and the blockchain beneath it.

2) If 33%+ of the companies collide to censor haribo.dappy haribo.dappy will not be resolved by dappy browser, co-resolution will fail. Dappy does not address all the problems in the world. It addresses some of them, like all DNS attacks, registrar attacks, registries attack, and aldo censorship to a certain extent.

3) This is a very good question. Yes they could share a replicated database, dappy could work this way. The very good thing of using blockchain is that you don't have to care about the payment system, it is all integrated. Plus you can integrate web3 and tipping in the web applications very easily as well (dappy network members are simply nodes of the blockchain).

4) I don't know which existing systems you are refering to. There are other DNS on the blockchain projects, they are less focus on the accuracy of resolution, and more on blockchain ownership.

5) Don't know about this thing on bitcoin, I'll check. One thing for sure is that dappy needs a smart contract platform. Things you can do on bitcoin are too limited.

6) It is the co-resolution final operation. "Reconciliation of the answers" is probably more explicit.

7) Phishing is removed through three ways:
- dappy only supports a-z0-9 characters goögle cannot exist.
- dappy will provide very simple authentication systems similar to webauthn but simpler. (passwordless, based on signatures, and domain name scoping).
- a "designated authority" system were you can define a domain name as an authority, and the browser automatically fetches the blacklist/whitelist from this domain name.

8) In remaining 10% you have a computer / OS being corrupted, the dappy network colliding (though it's not really an attack). Or some specular attacks occuring at the same time on 66%+ of the dappy network members.

9) Yes anonymous, on rchain blockchain (live very soon) rchain.coop . It does not provide the same anonimity level as monero/zcash though.

11) correct me if wrong please: round-robin is a load-balancing feature, not resiliency feature. When dappy browser receives 20 A records it is able to do rotation over them. You can have 20 replicates of your website, and if 10 are down, the clients don't see any difference. Do DNS / browsers have something similar ?

12) Everything is 100% https / e2e in dappy : the resolution/lookup system as well as the actual browsing with the server.

13) your browser and the browsers of people that visit your site grarpamp.dappy do not need to trust pathrock network, nor dappy. They must trust that the majority of the dappy network will not collide to perform a spoofing/takedown/censorship on the website. This is mainly it. It is exactly like all blockchains : you don't trust a single node, but a network instead. The goal is to be 10/20/more, not to stay just 3.

14)  FABCO is my company, we are aprt of the dappy network.

15) no one must pay to join, and they are not paid by FABCO to join neither. There is nevertheless an economic inceptive models for dappy network members to validate (respond to reuests, have robust infrastructure). This is a huge problem in the DNS : only rich corporations run free DNS resolver.

16) it is not part of the GPL/MIT family. Purists will not label it as open source. Dappy browser is just 1 repo out of 8/9, all the rest is MIT. Dappy browser may go MIT someday.

17) cool that you dive in the code ;) yes we are not live yet, the co-resolution right not is centralized. But the code is there.

I'll stop here and reply to the rest another time. Feel free to join the discord as well, this is all very interesting feedback/questions. https://discord.gg/8Cu5UFV

Raphaël