[tor-dev] Time interval for changing Introduction Points in Tor Hidden Services

Piyush Kumar Sharma piyushs at iiitd.ac.in
Tue Mar 15 23:16:19 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I have been investigating the Tor hidden services for some research work.

I am finding it hard to obtain information about how often do Introduction
Points of hidden service change.

More specifically, I am looking for answers to the following questions:

1.) If the tor relays selected as Introduction Points for a hidden service
go down (e.g., due to DoS), then in what time duration does the hidden
service select new Introduction Points automatically?

2.) Even when the Introduction Points are not down, is there a duration
after which they are automatically changed by the hidden service? If so,
what is this duration?

I have already tried to find this information in the Tor-spec about onion
v3 services. But could not find answers to these specific questions.

Thus, it would be really helpful if someone can answer these questions or
point to some resources where this information can be obtained.

Thanks