[tor-dev] Counting HS descriptor uploads

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Tue Jun 28 12:27:03 UTC 2022

Hi,

The Briar team is working on a new app that uses Tor hidden services,
and we're trying to work out when the server publishing a hidden service
should consider the service to be reachable by clients.

We've tried counting HS descriptor uploads via control port events, but
we found that when republishing a hidden service that has been published
before, the number of descriptor uploads seems to vary.

When republishing a hidden service, is it guaranteed that at least one
copy of the descriptor will be uploaded? Or are there circumstances
where Tor might decide that enough copies were previously uploaded, and
still contain up-to-date information about introduction points etc, so
no new copies need to be uploaded?

Thanks,
Michael