[tor-dev] tor-browser-build : any way to get it to use system packages for building?

Richard Pospesel pospeselr at riseup.net
Tue Jun 14 23:23:52 UTC 2022

So the purpose of tor-browser-build is to two-fold:

1. Providing a system which can reproducibly build tor-browser for all of our platforms, this
necessitates ensuring every builder is building using the same toolchain, libs, dependencies, etc
(which does necessitate downloading and validating lot of git repos/source archives/etc).
2. easy cross-platform builds (otherwise devs would need to figure out how to get together all of
the relevant per-platform toolchains).

You *can* do local Linux dev builds, see this guide:

- https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/wikis/Hacking

That said, tor-browser-build can definitely be more performant (in terms of both space and time) and
patches are definitely welcome. For a space and time win see this recent issue:

- https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser-build/-/issues/40186

A good intro document for working on tor-browser-build can be found here:

  -
https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/team/-/wikis/Development-Information/Tor-Browser/Building

We're also happy to help out on IRC, come find us in #tor-browser-dev on OFTC.

best,
-Richard