[tor-dev] onbasca - the next-generation bandwidth scanner

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Feb 9 17:48:17 UTC 2022

Hello everyone!

As many of you know we have been working on a simple bandwidth scanner
(sbws) over the last years to deal with the old and unmaintained Torflow
code on our bandwidth authorities. We learned a lot during that process,
especially after we started to replace Torflow with the new sbws code on
bandwidth authorities (today sbws is powering a majority of them, yay!).

We realized that we needed to improve the robustness and testability of
the code significantly, in particular as we want to build exciting
features like loadbalancing capability on top of it and decided it would
be easier to do so in a new tool: welcome onbasca. Onbasca takes the
best out of sbws and makes the code easier to test and more robust for
future improvements by deploying a database management system where we
previously dealt with JSON files only.[1]

The code repository lives in our network-health group[2] and is open for
contributions.

Get in touch in case you are interested, everyone is welcome!

Georg

[1] For a more detailed overview over the bandwidth scanner history,
design issues we encountered in sbws, and decisions we made, see:
https://tpo.pages.torproject.net/network-health/onbasca/history.html.
[2] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/network-health/onbasca