[tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Sep 16 12:52:29 UTC 2021

Tor Relays wrote:
> David Goulet:
>
>     However, I'm not sure we should always let 1 authority dictate that flag
>     regardless of what the others think.
>
>     I think we need to enforce majority here and not have one
>     single authority dictate it.
>
>     Thoughts?
>

> +1
>
> I can compromise one authority and can MiddleOnly the whole Tor network.

+1

of course we should not allow just 1 Directory Authority to have this
power. This would undermine the security model of the consensus we have
in Tor -- that is why we have more Directory Authorities controlled by
different people in different jurisdictions / parts of the world so it's
hard for an attacker to compromise all at once. We know and agree it's
simple and cheap (even free if it's a LEA with a subpoena) to compromise
one directory authority but much harder to compromise 50% + 1.