[tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed Sep 15 07:48:30 UTC 2021

David Goulet:
> [...]
>>
>> 3.1. Client Implementation
>>
>>   Clients should interpret the MiddleOnly flag while parsing relay descriptors
>>   to determine whether a relay is to be avoided for non-middle purposes. If
>>   a client parses the MiddleOnly flag, it must not use MiddleOnly-designated
>>   relays as entry guards or exit relays.
>>
>> 3.2. MiddleOnly Relay Purposes
>>
>>   If a relay has the MiddleOnly flag, we do not allow it to be used for the
>>   following purposes:
>>
>>    * Entry Guard
>>
>>    * Directory Guard
>>
>>    * Exit Relay
>>
>>   The reason for this is to prevent a misconfigured relay from being used
>>   in places where they may know about clients or destination traffic. This
>>   is in case certain misconfigured relays are used to deanonymize clients.
>>
>>   We could also bar a MiddleOnly relay from other purposes such as rendezvous
>>   and fallback directory purposes. However, while more secure in theory, this
>>   adds unnecessary complexity to the Tor design and has the possibility of
>>   breaking clients that aren't MiddleOnly-aware [2].
>
> Can we have a note on why HSDir, Intro and Rendezvous relays have not been put
> in that list?
>

>> 4. Consensus Considerations
>>
>> 4.1. Consensus Methods
>>
>>   We propose a new consensus method 32, which is to only use this flag if and
>>   when all authorities understand the flag and agree on it. This is because the
>>   MiddleOnly flag impacts path selection for clients.
>>
>> 4.2. Consensus Requirements
>>
>>   On the directory authorities, similar to the BadExit flag, if one dirauth
>>   gives a relay the MiddleOnly flag, we should mark the MiddleOnly flag for
>>   the relay even if other dirauths didn't add the flag.
>
> I'm a tiny bit skeptical about this here. This is a whole lot of power for one
> dirauth.
>
> The idea behind enforcing a consensus method is that a majority of authorities
> would vote on MiddleOnly and not very few.
>
> It is true that there is often a delay with a majority of authorities agreeing
> on a flag from the time the health team flag a relay MiddleOnly.
>
> However, I'm not sure we should always let 1 authority dictate that flag
> regardless of what the others think.
>
> It is _not_ common but it had happened in the past that TPO's health team
> would recommend to reject a relay and few authorities agreed to do it but not
> the majority as the rest didn't find the reasons good enough and so the relay
> was never rejected in the end because lack of majority.
>
> That is a bit the last last safe guard of the authority protocol here which is
> that an actual trusted operators makes the ultimate decision to reject or not
> based on the information provided by the health team. And this works if every
> decision needs majority.
>
> Adding that requirement would not allow this and so like rejecting a relay
> from the consensus, I think we need to enforce majority here and not have one

Yes, I agree with that reasoning. I don't think the delay in proposing
relay X is getting the MiddleOnly flag and a majority of directory
authorities saying so is an issue. It's not an issue either in the
outright reject cases where we find an actual attacker, which are
arguably worse. And even if it really were an issue, we could ping folks
to apply the flag in case we actually find its application urgent.

Additionally, and to pick up the second potential argument you mention,
those directory authorities that were in the past reluctant to reject a
bunch of relays (for good reasons) that got proposed by network health
folks might now be pretty happy with applying the MiddleOnly flag (for
the same reasons).

Georg