[tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Sun Sep 12 21:29:12 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 2021-09-12 12:31, nusenu wrote:
> Neel Chauhan:
>>> Also ensure this functionality is available to tor clients via a
>>> torrc option like "ExcludeExitNodes" can be used by tor clients as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> The torrc option for clients could be named
>>> "LimitToMiddleOnlyNodes" or similar and takes a list of relay
>>> fingerprints and can appear multiple times in a torrc (like
>>> ExcludeExitNodes).
>>>

>> I don't know if torrc options are supposed to go in Proposal
>> documents
>
> I agree that the naming of torrc options is not in scope of a proposal,
> but the fact that the MiddleOnly path selection constraint feature can
> be used by clients without
> requiring DirAuth actions probably is.

It makes sense about that. I will send an updated proposal.

>> I will try to make sure an
>> "ExcludeMiddleNodes" option (how I would name it) would be included
>
> A name "ExcludedMiddleNodes" would suggest the exact opposite of what
> MiddleOnly
> actually is for, no? It suggests that the given relays are excluded
> from the middle position
> but in fact they should be limited to the middle position.

Sorry, my bad.

The ExcludeMiddleNodes did give a good idea for a new feature I already
have a MR for:

  * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40466

  * https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/merge_requests/436

It's unrelated to this PR, though, and I don't know if it will go in.

> kind regards,
> nusenu

Any time,

Neel Chauhan