[tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Sep 12 19:31:40 UTC 2021

Neel Chauhan:
>> Also ensure this functionality is available to tor clients via a
>> torrc option like "ExcludeExitNodes" can be used by tor clients as
>> well.
>>
>> The torrc option for clients could be named
>> "LimitToMiddleOnlyNodes" or similar and takes a list of relay
>> fingerprints and can appear multiple times in a torrc (like
>> ExcludeExitNodes).
>>

> I don't know if torrc options are supposed to go in Proposal
> documents

I agree that the naming of torrc options is not in scope of a proposal,
but the fact that the MiddleOnly path selection constraint feature can be used by clients without
requiring DirAuth actions probably is.

> I will try to make sure an
> "ExcludeMiddleNodes" option (how I would name it) would be included

A name "ExcludedMiddleNodes" would suggest the exact opposite of what MiddleOnly
actually is for, no? It suggests that the given relays are excluded from the middle position
but in fact they should be limited to the middle position.

kind regards,
nusenu

--
https://nusenu.github.io