[tor-dev] Proposal 334: A flag to mark Relays as middle-only

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Sep 7 19:47:01 UTC 2021

Neel Chauhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As asked in the torspec MR [1] (42) for ticket [2] (40448), I propose a
> MiddleOnly dirauth flag for relays.
>
> The proposal, #334, is attached to this email, and is titled "A dirauth
> flag to mark Relays as Middle-only".
>
> Please comment and review it.
>
> Best,
>
> Neel Chauhan
>
> ===
>
> Links:
>
> [1] - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/merge_requests/42
>
> [2] - https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/issues/40448

Hi Neel,

Please add a "MOTIVATION" section and explain in detail why is this
needed for the network/heath team and how will it improve things? Also
include in the "MOTIVATION" section the following:

- Why not play with the Exit/Guard to achieve the same goal, why not
possible? what is the goal -- we need to know the goal to further
discuss this.

- It's something at Directory Authority Level only? So the client /
relay operator has no decision whatsoever for this flag? What are the
tie breakers or based on what is this assigned?

- How will this work in a wonderful feature I am dreaming of where all
the relays are Exits and maybe we make walking onions working?

P.S. Rendezvous point is NOT a less powerful position (at least from an
onion service server/operator point of view), unless you are using
vanguards plugin by Mike with rendguard component activated. Because
it's always chosen by the client connecting to the onion service, and we
should assume the client is always ~LE~ evil. Trust me on this :)