[tor-dev] tor Prometheus Metrics Documentation

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Oct 10 20:07:34 UTC 2021

Hi,

since Neel is working on unix socket support [1] for MetricsPort
I'm preparing to add support for it to relayor.
I don't like to add additional attack surface to a relay but since
tor does not support TLS and basic auth on the MetricsPort I'll likely
install nginx that takes care of TLS and authentication.
If you have any opinion on that I'd also like to hear it.

It would be nice to have a documentation for all tor prometheus metrics
in the man page or on a website, some information can be found at [3] but not all.
Is there already a complete documentation for tor prometheus metrics data?

Here is an example of how other projects have documented their metrics [5].

I don't know if it is too late for that but it would be great to use the
well known IANA RCODE [4] naming for the DNS return codes
where possible instead of the custom naming.

examples (just guessing):
tor_relay_exit_dns_error_total{... reason="format"}    -> FormErr?
tor_relay_exit_dns_error_total{... reason="notexist"}  -> NXDomain?

kind regards,
nusenu

[1] https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/merge_requests/453
[3] https://support.torproject.org/relay-operators/relay-bridge-overloaded/