[tor-dev] proposal 328 status

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Mon Nov 1 19:56:52 UTC 2021

On 01 Nov (20:46:05), nusenu wrote:

> David Goulet:
> > On 29 Oct (22:48:53), nusenu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if the current version of the text is the latest available version of it or
> > > if there is somewhere a newer version that hasn't been pushed yet?
> > >
> > > https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/328-relay-overload-report.md

> > It should actually be set to "Closed" now and we need to merge it in
> > dir-spec.txt.
>
> "Implemented-In" would also be nice.
>
> my understanding of the changelog
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/tor/-/merge_requests/361/diffs#821ec629171cb3d62b4ce801f8e81e2bbfe9b011_0_1
>
> was that only the "overload-general" line got moved (not all lines from this spec)
> from the extra-info descriptor to the server descriptor,
> but this change implies that all lines are now located in the server descriptors?
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/commit/3424a245774e2ee56115e36cc4f8790fa53067c0#2c338f8c98c902438a74b0f928609906424b356d_30_28
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/blob/main/proposals/328-relay-overload-report.md

Ah ! my mistake. I'll fix that right away.

You are absolutely right, the other overload lines are in the extra-info only.
The general one is in the server descriptor. I confirmed with the
implementation and will fix the spec asap!

Good catch!

> Has the version field in the "overload-general" line been increase when the
> semantics for DNS timeouts changed?  (the 1 to 1%/10min change)

Yes, in theory but we didn't go for this considering that the version 1 here
is absolutely broken and at this early time, we wanted to be agile with this
feature and so we backported this as a "fix" to a feature.

Any new features to that very line will see a version bump and a proposal for
sure.

The overload-general line implementation had a mis-communication between the
proposal and the coding work and so we thought we had the X% over Y% but we
didn't in the end.

Cheers!
David

--
eCVYxw3Iqh/9/IgYu/jMmS7iZf2Wky+ZIob+SBM/7/o=