[tor-dev] Consensus network status fetch

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun May 16 21:36:28 UTC 2021

On Sun, May 16, 2021 at 06:05:59PM +0000, sysmanager7 wrote:
> crotab -l root returns 0
> crontab -l user returns 0

Modern cron jobs don't just live in the crontab. See also your /etc/cron*
directories, which is where various packages might put cron things.

For example, in my case I have an /etc/cron.daily/logrotate file (placed
by my logrotate package) and also I have an /etc/logrotate.d/tor file
(placed by my tor package).

>    00:00:05 [NOTICE] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".
>  x 00:00:05 [NOTICE] Read configuration file "/usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc".
>  x 00:00:05 [NOTICE] Received reload signal (hup). Reloading config and resetting internal state.
>
>  What happens after the signal hup is my band settings are changed from 2/4 MBs to 112/120MBs. This
>  usually happens at 1/2 am so the relay operates at those settings for a solid eight hours. I am paying
>  for this, when the above happens, it gets expensive! Which is why this has to stop.

Switching to other config values after a HUP makes me think you are
configuring your Tor in some way other than editing /etc/tor/torrc.

Maybe you're doing your config changes via nyx, or some other transient
way, rather than by editing the torrc file?

Since this is about running a relay, you also might get better help
if you switch to the tor-relays@ list: