[tor-dev] descriptor sync finished event after disabling UseMicrodescriptors (stem)

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat May 15 08:04:28 UTC 2021

Hi David,

thanks for your reply and confirming that there is no event for this,
so the best option is to make a simple loop and test every few seconds if the download is completed I guess.

>> I also noticed that fetching takes significantly longer when microdescriptors are disabled temporarily when compared to
>> adding
>> UseMicrodescriptors 0
>> to the torrc file persistently and restarting the tor client.
>
> Maybe simply because server descriptors are much larger than microdesc?

In both cases we fetch the same kind of descriptors.

1) torrc: UseMicrodescriptors 0 -> start tor -> fast to complete descriptor fetching

2) no torrc change -> start tor ->  controller.set_conf('UseMicrodescriptors', '0') -> slow

Maybe (2) is slower because tor does not start the download directly after set_conf('UseMicrodescriptors', '0')
is received.

kind regards,
nusenu

--