[tor-dev] Proposal 328: Make Relays Report When They Are Overloaded

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Mar 2 18:01:46 UTC 2021

David Goulet <dgoulet at torproject.org> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> Attached is a proposal from Mike Perry and I. Merge requsest is here:
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/merge_requests/22

Hello all,

while working on this proposal I had to change it slightly to add a few
more metrics and also to simplify some engineering issues that we would
encounter. You can find the changes here:
           https://gitlab.torproject.org/asn/torspec/-/commit/b57743b9764bd8e6ef8de689d14483b7ec9c91ec

Mike, based on your comments in the #40222 ticket, I would appreciate
comments on the way the DNS issues will be reported. David argued that
they should not be part of the "overload-general" line because they are
not an overload and it's not the fault of the network in any way. This
is why we added them as separate lines. Furthermore, David suggested we
turn them into a threshold "only report if 25% of the total requests
have timed out" instead of "only report if at least one time out has
occured" since that would be more useful.

We also decided to simplify the 'overload-ratelimits' line to make it
easier to implement (learning whether it was a burst or rate overload in
Tor seems to be quite hard, so we decided to merge these two events).

Cheers!