[tor-dev] Scalability or Onionbalance for v3 ephemeral/ADD_ONION services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Jun 28 11:25:35 UTC 2021

Holmes Wilson <h at zbay.llc> writes:

> Would this return a list of currently-online onion addresses in possession
> of the frontend address key?
>
> Or would it just route traffic to one of those addresses invisibly?

Hello Holmes,

I think the feature that Chad was asking for would just allow them to
enable OnionBalance through the control port (since setting
OnionbalanceMasterKey is a necessary step of configuring onionbalance
backends).

> For our application (a messaging app) it would be super useful to get the
> full list of known online (or recently seen online) onion addresses in
> possession of some frontend key. This would let us use onionbalance for
> peer discovery instead of blindly trying the set of all known peers, which
> won't work well for large groups / large numbers of peers.

Hmm, can you please give us some more details on what you are looking
for? What is peer discovery in the above context, and what do you mean
with "full list of ... onion addresses in possession of some frontend
key"? I'm asking because the frontend key of onionbalance is also the
onion address that users should access.

Cheers!