[tor-dev] (no subject)

Jithin S jithins at iiitd.ac.in
Tue Feb 2 12:34:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

I have recently started running a TOR node with the nickname *CostlyOnion2.
*At the time of writing of this email, the details of the node are as
follows:

*Uptime*: 14 days 3 hours 18 minutes and 0 second
*Advertised Bandwidth*: 3.35 MiB/s
*Flags*:  *Fast  Running  Stable  V2Dir  Valid*
*First Seen*: 2021-01-18 17:00:00 (14 days 19 hours 13 minutes and 32
seconds)
*Last Restarted*: 2021-01-19 08:55:32

For current details, click here
<https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/19EDB4798A4C170D603F86D8862BC22D55EEAA6D>
.

My concern is how soon we will get a Guard status for our relay. I have
read this <https://blog.torproject.org/lifecycle-new-relay> blog post
regarding the life cycle of a relay. As it says, for a relay aged 8-68 days
to get "Guard" status, we need to keep an eye on three factors *viz.
*bandwidth,
weighted fractional uptime, and time known.  Suppose we keep running the
relay all the time with the above-mentioned bandwidth(3.35 MiB/s), I
would like to know about following

   - How long it will take to get the guard status?
   - My link bandwidth is quite high (close to 50MBytes/s), still the
   advertised is around 3.35MiB/s. What could be the possible factors for this?
   - As I am doing some analysis studies, we would also like to know what
   all factors we should take into account for the users to make use of our
   relay?

I also request you to share any relevant resources for getting more
information regarding the above questions, especially on the calculation of
consensus weight.

Thanks and regards,
Jithin S