[tor-dev] Accessing Shared Random Values as a Protocol on top of Tor

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Tue Dec 7 14:25:07 UTC 2021

On 29 Oct (23:56:07), Sebastian Hoffmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if I can access the shared random value[1] while
> developing a
> protocol/application on top of Tor onion services. The application is
> still in
> early development, but it would be great if I could depend on the shared
> random
> value.
>
> If this is not the correct mailing list for this question, I would be
> glad if
> you could point me to one.

You can through the ControlPort with:

  "GETINFO sr/current"
  "GETINFO sr/previous"

From control-spec.txt:

    "sr/current"
    "sr/previous"
      The current or previous shared random value, as received in the
      consensus, base-64 encoded.  An empty value means that either
      the consensus has no shared random value, or Tor has no consensus.

Cheers!
David

--
PyBJTQkt8p8BjnK5Ab+oFbVk2ILMK5Ty/Hz4v9WU/+4=