[tor-dev] [RFC] Proposal: A First Take at PoW Over Introduction Circuits

tevador tevador at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 11:15:08 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 2:10 PM George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:

> if you have a GPU-enabled box, so that we can get some benchmarks
> from GPUs as well

Someone would have to write a GPU benchmark for that. My code is CPU-only.

>   tevador do you have the graphing code somewhere so that I can run the
>   experiments again and see how the graphs are influenced?

I've uploaded the gnuplot script I used to generate the graphs here:
https://github.com/tevador/scratchpad/blob/master/tor-pow/effort_sim.plt

You will need to modify the script with your path to the simulation output file.

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:54 PM Jim Newsome <jnewsome at torproject.org> wrote:

> I stumbled across some weird artifacts when using more threads than
> processors: the benchmark reports solutions/sec continuing to increase
> linearly with #threads. The wall-clock time for the benchmark itself
> (measured with `time`) show the expected trend though of linear scaling
> only up to 4 (the number of physical cores), a little bump at 8 (using
> the hyperthreaded virtual cores), and no improvement past that.

Good catch. There was a bug in the time measurement code in the
benchmark. Should be fixed now in the master branch.