[tor-dev] Proposal 320: Removing TAP usage from v2 onion services

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue May 19 17:35:17 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 8:52 PM teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> > On 12 May 2020, at 06:48, Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > ## Migration steps
> >
> > First, we implement all of the above, but set it to be disabled by
> > default.  We use torrc fields to selectively enable them for testing
> > purposes, to make sure they work.
>
> Can you expand on the testing plan here?
>
> One of the risks with multi-year migration projects is that unrelated
> changes break the migration, and we don't notice.
>
> For example, you might need to create a chutney network for each
> stage, and run them on every pull request and merge. In our current
> CI, that's 30-60 seconds of extra time per network, or 2-4 extra
> minutes of CI time.
>
> If you need to test different combinations of features for each stage,
> let's try to do that in the same networks. Otherwise, the testing matrix
> expands out very quickly.

I agree here think that the right approach here is to test for the
various ways that we expect the network to exist at a time.  The
trickiest stage of the migration will be the one where some services
support ntor keys and some don't, some clients do and some don't.  If
we add a chutney network for that case specifically and make sure that
all clients can reach all services, we should be fine here.