[tor-dev] Support for full DNS resolution and DNSSEC validation

Jeremy Rand jeremyrand at airmail.cc
Fri May 15 17:22:00 UTC 2020

Alexander Færøy:
> Hey,
>
> On 2020/05/15 16:36, Jeremy Rand wrote:
>> The Prop279 spec text is ambiguous about whether the target is required
>> to be a .onion domain, but the implementations (TorNS and StemNS) do not
>> have that restriction.  TorNS and StemNS allow a Prop279 plugin to
>> advertise acceptance of any domain suffix (haven't explicitly tried the
>> root zone as an suffix, but if that doesn't work, it's a bug that should
>> be easy to fix) and can resolve them to any result (e.g. an IP address,
>> a .onion domain, or another DNS name a la CNAME).
>
> In proposal #279 the subprocess passes the `RESOLVED` message to Tor
> once it is has completed a name look up. The `RESOLVED` message is
> defined as follows:
>
>     ``When the name plugin completes the name resolution, it prints the
>     following line in its stdout:
>
>         RESOLVED <QUERY_ID> <STATUS_CODE> <RESULT>
>
>     where QUERY_ID is the corresponding query ID and STATUS_CODE is an integer
>     status code. RESULT is the resolution result (an onion address) or an error
>     message if the resolution was not succesful.''
>
> Here the `<RESULT>` must be an onion address. We would have to change
> that, such that an IP address can be returned as well :-)

Hi Alex,

The ambiguity I was referring to is that while the section you quote
does require that the result be a .onion domain, below it is this note:

> Tor MUST validate that the resolution result is a valid .onion name.
> XXX should we also accept IPs and regular domain results???

Prop279 is clearly labeled as a draft, so this makes it appear that no
decision was reached on whether the result should be required to be a
.onion domain.

My opinion is that accepting non-.onion addresses as results is
desirable (both because it's useful for the Namecoin use case and
because it's useful for the DNSSEC use case that we're discussing).

Cheers,
--
-Jeremy Rand
Lead Application Engineer at Namecoin
Mobile email: jeremyrandmobile at airmail.cc
Mobile OpenPGP: 2158 0643 C13B B40F B0FD 5854 B007 A32D AB44 3D9C
Send non-security-critical things to my Mobile with OpenPGP.
Please don't send me unencrypted messages.
My business email jeremy at veclabs.net is having technical issues at the
moment.