[tor-dev] Support for full DNS resolution and DNSSEC validation

Alexander Færøy ahf at torproject.org
Fri May 15 16:53:29 UTC 2020

Hey,

On 2020/05/15 16:36, Jeremy Rand wrote:
> The Prop279 spec text is ambiguous about whether the target is required
> to be a .onion domain, but the implementations (TorNS and StemNS) do not
> have that restriction.  TorNS and StemNS allow a Prop279 plugin to
> advertise acceptance of any domain suffix (haven't explicitly tried the
> root zone as an suffix, but if that doesn't work, it's a bug that should
> be easy to fix) and can resolve them to any result (e.g. an IP address,
> a .onion domain, or another DNS name a la CNAME).

In proposal #279 the subprocess passes the `RESOLVED` message to Tor
once it is has completed a name look up. The `RESOLVED` message is
defined as follows:

    ``When the name plugin completes the name resolution, it prints the
    following line in its stdout:

        RESOLVED <QUERY_ID> <STATUS_CODE> <RESULT>

    where QUERY_ID is the corresponding query ID and STATUS_CODE is an integer
    status code. RESULT is the resolution result (an onion address) or an error
    message if the resolution was not succesful.''

Here the `<RESULT>` must be an onion address. We would have to change
that, such that an IP address can be returned as well :-)

All the best,
Alex.

--
Alexander Færøy