[tor-dev] Walking Onions status update: week 2 notes

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Mar 20 16:37:38 UTC 2020

Hi Nick,

> On 20 Mar 2020, at 23:01, Nick Mathewson <nickm at freehaven.net> wrote:

>> Here's another issue you might want to consider:
>>
>> Currently, new relays get in the consensus as soon as:
>>  * they post their descriptors, and
>>  * a majority of authorities can contact their ORPorts.
>>
>> That means clients and relays waste a whole bunch of bandwidth
>> downloading consensus info and descriptors for relays with very
>> low weights.
>>
>> Instead, we could have two documents:
>
> Thanks for this! This dovetails nicely with some of the voting design
> work I'm up to right now.

It would be great to have a protocol that doesn't depend on:
* time synchronisation
* big documents
* one-shot updates
* absolute consistency

We've already made vote timing a bit more robust in the tor master
branch, by ignoring late votes:

Here's a few other tweaks that might help:

Tor halves the consensus interval when there is no fresh consensus.
But changing the interval makes tor's code much more complex.
Instead, let's have a fixed consensus interval. And make it long
enough for efficiency, but short enough to recover from a failed
consensus.

Let's support vote diffs, as well as consensus diffs. Vote diffs
don't help when posting votes. But when requesting votes, authorities
can include hashes of votes they already have. That way, authorities
that are under heavy load are more likely to get all the votes.

We could increase the time that authorities have to fetch votes, and
make them retry fetches every few minutes.

We could do consistency checks on smaller shards, so that a
consistency failure in any one document does not break the entire
consensus.

We could create a shard for each supported consensus method (like we
do microdescriptors). That way, a consistency failure in any one
consensus method does not break the entire consensus.

We could make shards valid for a longer time, so that if the
replacement shard does not reach consensus, the older one is used.

Then, the final documents are a combination of all the consistent
shards, using the highest consistent consensus method. (Much like
the current microdesc consensus.)

Once we've made some of those changes, then some other changes
become plausible:

Let's make votes valid for exactly 2 voting periods, and use the
latest available vote from each authority.

Currently, each consensus can have one of two inputs from each
authority:
* the current vote, or
* no vote.
If a majority of authorities don't vote, then the consensus fails.
(And if enough bandwidth authorities don't vote, then measured
bandwidths fail.)

If there are up to two valid votes during a voting period, then
each consensus can have one of three inputs from each authority:
* the current vote, or
* the vote before the current vote, or
* no vote.
Having 3 possible choices is slightly worse than having 2 choices.

But with the changes above, authorities are more likely to have the
latest vote from each other authority. And having similar votes
will be enough for most of the shards to be consistent, for most
consensus methods.

If a majority of authorities don't have any valid votes, then the
consensus fails. But that's much less likely when there are two
valid votes at any one time.

We could also make each authority construct its own merkle root(s),
and allow the N most popular/recent roots on the network.
(Or equivalently, allow roots with current signatures from M
authorities.)

We could split votes into shards as well, and make authorities
exchange them like they exchange relay descriptors?
(When they see a reference to a new vote shard, they try to
download it from all other authorities.)

We'd need extra monitoring, to make sure that diffs, authorities,
shards, consensus methods, or latest votes aren't consistently
broken.

Maybe there's a few more steps we could take, and then we'd have
a voting protocol that doesn't require strict time
synchronisation. Where updates just happen as authorities make
them available, rather than all at once.