[tor-dev] Walking Onions status update: week 1 notes

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Sun Mar 8 19:35:26 UTC 2020

Hi!  On our current grant from the zcash foundation, I'm working
on a full specification for the Walking Onions design.

If you haven't read it, Walking Onions is a set of ideas meant to
transition Tor away from its current dependency on a directory
system, to improve scaling in the long term, and performance of
low-bandwidth clients in the short term.

I'm going assume in the rest of my email that you already have a
decent idea of how Tor works, and of the Walking Onions proposal.
If you need a Walking Onions refresher, see proposal 300 [PROP300]
and the whitepaper that Chelsea Komlo, Ian Goldberg, and I have
been working on [WHITEPAPER].

The current scope for this work is to try to solve all the open
design questions for Walking Onions, and to write a set of
specifications we could use to build the system.

I'm aiming to have the initial versions of these specs wrapped up
in April.  Rather than dumping everything onto the mailing list at
once, I'm going to try working in the open, sending weekly updates
about my work.

Design and specification are a lot of fun for me; I hope you'll
have fun too reading along.

This past week, I started by writing:

   - An outline of the set of specifications we'd need to have
     before we could implement walking onions. (OUTLINE0.txt)

   - A list of areas of uncertainty that we need to solve before
     or during writing the specs. (UNCERTAINTY.txt)

   - A list of related problems that we might wind up solving
     along with the walking onion specs (OPPORTUNITIES.txt)

   - A rough grouping of initial tasks, which should eventually
     turn into a schedule. (PLAN.txt)

You can find all these documents in a working git repository
[GITREPO] that I've been making for this purpose, if you like.  I
don't intend for this repository to be a permanent reference or to
be necessarily useful for anybody but me: everything important
about it should eventually wind up in specifications and on this
mailing list.

==

The biggest area of uncertainty was to pick a meta-format for
ENDIVEs and SNIPs.  I looked at our existing directory
meta-format, along with protobufs, messagepack, and a whole bunch
of other systems.  I also looked into what kind of efficiency we'd
get by just using a hand-tooled non-extensible binary format, so
that I could see what kind of overhead we were looking at.

The issue here is that I think we don't want to be using a
text-based metaformat for SNIPs: we need SNIPs to be as small as
possible, and our current text-based directory metaformat only
compresses well when we're using huge amounts of it at once.

But if we're doing a binary format, we probably shouldn't
hand-roll it.  Trunnel lets us handle our existing formats safely,
but those formats aren't so efficient in practice, and they aren't
too standardized.  If we use a standardized binary format, then we
get encoding, decoding, debugging dumps, optimization, and lots of
other stuff "for free".

After looking at a pretty huge variety of formats, I think that
our best bet is something called "CBOR", standardized as RFC 7049
[CBOR].  It is substantially based on MessagePack, but with a
number of improvements.  Here are some of CBOR's advantages:

    + It's optimized first for allowing encoding/decoding to be
      done with small, simple code -- and second, for having a
      small binary format.  IMO it succeeds at both: the
      metaformat is simple, and there are decoder implementations
      in less than 1kb of binary size.

    + You can think of its data model as a "binary json"; it's
      very flexible. (yes I know about the other binary jsons)

    + It's standardized, and there are lots of implementations of
      it, in lots of different languages.

    + It has a data definition language [CDDL], which we don't
      actually need to implement, but which we can use to help
      write our specs and validate our implementation.

    + It has a textual encoding for debugging, and a one-way
      mapping to json.

Here are some of its disadvantages:

    - It doesn't have a built-in object mapping like protobufs
      does.

    - It allows multiple encodings for a single piece of
      data. (The CBOR RFC explains how to make a canonical
      encoding.)

    - Our diff story gets slightly more complex when we have a
      binary format.

(I'd be happy to talk about other possibilities, but please make sure you
know about the bikeshed first. [BIKESHED])

==

Doing diffs from one ENDIVE to the next will be helpful if we want
to keep relay bandwidth on the small side.  We'll need binary
diffs for this.  Fortunately, I think that shouldn't be too hard
to do with our existing diff code: instead of doing line-by-line
diffs, we'll just do CBOR-item-by-item diffs, and encode them in a
byte-oriented way.  I've got a prototype half-written to make sure
this is right.  The simplicity of CBOR makes this pretty easy.

==

There are a few ways to authenticate SNIPs.  It's looking like
right now the most efficient will be merkle trees, with the root
of the tree signed by a threshold signature algorithm like BLS.

One of the neat things about merkle trees is that if we are
transmitting the leaves and the signature on the root, we don't
need to actually transmit the intermediate nodes as part of the
ENDIVE.  So that's cool, and it will make ENDIVE diffs smaller.

One of the not-so-neat things is that the merkle tree paths are a
bit long.  There are ways to make them shorter: you only need to
transmit one digest for each layer, plus a bit to say which hash
it is.

(I learned about these tricks while working on [WHITEPAPER],
thanks to Ian and Chelsea.)

One risky thing I've been thinking about is whether we can use a
shorter-than-256-bits hash for the merkle tree nodes, if we don't
need to worry about collision resistance for the digest functions.
The SNIPs are generated by authorities, but they do contain a
certain amount of adversary-created material.  Randomized hashes
with an unpredictable key might help, particularly for
intermediate nodes on the tree? [XMSS] has some ideas
here. (Suggested by Jack Lloyd)

==

In the coming week, I'm hoping to finish up making my draft
schedule, start doing research as needed to handle more open
questions, and write an initial spec for the ENDIVE and SNIP
formats.

[BIKESHED] "Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?"
    http://bikeshed.com/

[CBOR] RFC 7049: "Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)"
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7049

[CDDL] RFC 8610: "Concise Data Definition Language (CDDL): A
    Notational Convention to Express Concise Binary Object
    Representation (CBOR) and JSON Data Structures"
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8610

[GITREPO]  https://github.com/nmathewson/walking-onions-wip

[PROP300] "Walking Onions: Scaling and Saving Bandwidth"
    https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/plain/proposals/300-walking-onions.txt

[WHITEPAPER] "Walking Onions: Scaling Anonymity Networks while
    Protecting Users"
    https://crysp.uwaterloo.ca/software/walkingonions/

[XMSS] RFC 8391: "XMSS: eXtended Merkle Signature Scheme".
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8391