[tor-dev] Onion Service v2 Deprecation Timeline

meskio meskio at sindominio.net
Tue Jun 16 11:15:12 UTC 2020

Quoting Georg Koppen (2020-06-16 11:15:46)
> Roger Dingledine:
> > On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 12:34:17PM -0400, David Goulet wrote:
> >>   1) September 15th, 2020
> >>      0.4.4.x: Tor will start warning onion service operators and clients that
> >>               v2 is deprecated and will be obsolete in version 0.4.6
> >
> > Thanks David. "Late 2020" is also a good timeframe for Tor Browser to
> > learn how to warn users when they visit a v2 onion service.
> >
> > That is, we can't just change the underlying Tor proxy program to write
> > warnings in a log file. We need to improve the user flow for popular
> > Tor-using apps, starting with Tor Browser and maybe continuing to other
> > common Tor-using apps we appreciate such as Brave.
> >
> > I recognize that the Tor Browser dev team has their hands full with
> > keeping up with Mozilla's changes while trying to improve things for
> > mobile while having not enough funded developers for those tasks. All
> > the more reason to highlight this need early, and to do as much of the
> > supporting design/planning/strategy work as we can in other teams like
> > the UX team.
>
> I just Created
>
> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40001
>
> (via email, yes, you don't need to click around anymore in a GUI to do
> this kind of thing ;)).

I'm wondering if it will make sense to use Onion-Location in V2 onion services
to advertise the V3 onion. So existing known V2 services can use it to upgrade
their users to V3.

AFAIK right now tor-browser ignores the Onion-Location header if is already
coming from an onion service. Will it make sense to stop ignoring it at least
for V2 onion services?

--
meskio | https://meskio.net/