[tor-dev] Onion Service v2 Deprecation Timeline

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Tue Jun 16 08:31:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 12:34:17PM -0400, David Goulet wrote:
>   1) September 15th, 2020
>      0.4.4.x: Tor will start warning onion service operators and clients that
>               v2 is deprecated and will be obsolete in version 0.4.6

Thanks David. "Late 2020" is also a good timeframe for Tor Browser to
learn how to warn users when they visit a v2 onion service.

That is, we can't just change the underlying Tor proxy program to write
warnings in a log file. We need to improve the user flow for popular
Tor-using apps, starting with Tor Browser and maybe continuing to other
common Tor-using apps we appreciate such as Brave.

I recognize that the Tor Browser dev team has their hands full with
keeping up with Mozilla's changes while trying to improve things for
mobile while having not enough funded developers for those tasks. All
the more reason to highlight this need early, and to do as much of the
supporting design/planning/strategy work as we can in other teams like
the UX team.

--Roger