[tor-dev] #32888 IPv6 and 'Address' option

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon Jun 15 17:46:39 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 6:42 AM c <c at chroniko.jp> wrote:

> Trac <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/32888> describes
> that "we should also log [for] IPv4 and IPv6: the Address torrc option"
> and as tor(1) states, 'Address' takes only an IPv4 address and port.
>
> So what is suggested here? Make 'Address' support IPv6 to be consistent
> with other options ('ORPort', 'SocksPort', 'TransPort', 'DNSPort', and
> the like all support multiple declarations per torrc, both IPv4 and
> IPv6)? If we will have IPv6-only relays in the future, this option
> would make quite a bit of sense.

I think what you're looking for here is section 3.2.1 of proposal 312,
which covers how Tor should determine its IPv6 addresses.  The plan
described there is to allow Address to appear up to twice.

Link:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/312-relay-auto-ipv6-addr.txt#n245

> Since I'm on the topic of #32888, I went ahead and pushed the IPv6
> logging portion to <https://github.com/torproject/tor/pull/1932> and
> have tested with 'ORPort [::1]:9001' and it seems to log successfully.
> Not a big change, so I expect it to be an easy merge.

Sounds good!  I'll take a look at it soon.