[tor-dev] Request for onionbalance v3 pre-alpha testing

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Jan 31 16:31:10 UTC 2020

Hello list,

we've been developing Onionbalance v3 for the past months, and I'm
pretty hyped to say that the project has reached a stability point that
could benefit from some initial testing by curious and adventurous
developers and users.

The project is not yet ready for proper use in actual production environments
(more on this later), but my hope is that this testing will reveal bugs that I
can't catch in my test environment and receive user feedback that will speed up
the overall process and allow a faster and more stable initial release.

This email features a pretty complicated pseudo-guide that if it gets followed
to completion it will hopefully result in a functional onionbalance setup.

As I said the guide is complicated and in ugly text format, so I suggest you
put on some calming music (perhaps some Bill Evans or some Com Truise or some
Tor) and go slowly. Trying to speed run this will result in disappointment and
perhaps even partial or total loss of faith in humanity.

== So what's the current status of Onionbalance v3? ==

The project lives as a fork of Donncha's original Onionbalance project in this
repository: https://github.com/asn-d6/onionbalance

The current status is that during my testing I have onionbalanced a real v3
service with two backend instances successfully for a few days with no obvious
reachability issues. It also works on a private tor network (using Chutney) for
hours with no issues. All the above happened on Debian stable and testing.

Also, here are some features that are currently missing but will be
included in the initial launch:
- This new onionbalance will support both v2 and v3 onion services, altho
  currently v2 support is botched and only v3 will work for the purposes of
  this testing. If you can quickly revive v2 support patches are welcome!
- Any sort of documentation about v3 mode (this post is all the documentation there is for now!)
- Missing streamlined setup process (installation scripts, packages or dependency tracking)
- Code documentation and unittests missing
- There is no daemon mode. You will have to run this in screen for now
- Fun bugs included!

Furthermore, v2 and v3 support will not have feature parity at the time of the
initial launch, and we will have to incrementally build these features:
- Cool v2 features like DISTINCT_DESCRIPTORS are not yet implemented so v3
  cannot load balance as deeply as v3 yet (patches welcome!)
- There is no way to transfer your existing v3 onion service to onionbalance (patches welcome!)
- There is no torrc generation for instances as in v2 (patches welcome!)
- It will be possible for clients and HSDirs to figure out whether a descriptor
  comes from an onionservice vs a regular v3 onion. Making them
  indistinguishable is possible but requires more engineering and will be left
  as a TODO for now (see #31857)

Finally, there is no guarantee that configs generated with this pre-alpha
version of Onionbalance will be forward compatible when we actually launch the
project. This means that if you setup onionbalance v3 right now, you might need
to re-set it up in a month or so when the actual release happens.

tl;dr This is a call for experimental testing and it's meant to help the
developers and accelerate development and not to be used in anything remotely
serious or close to production. The actual release for operators and users is
coming in a month or so.

== Before we get started... ==

OK so let's assume that you still want to help out!

Given that this is a pre-alpha test I'm gonna assume that you fill the
following prerequisites otherwise you are gonna have an adventure:

[ ] Comfortable with git
[ ] Familiar with v2 onionbalance (at least in terms of terminology and how it works)
[ ] Familiar with setting up and configuring (v3) onion services
[ ] Familiar with Linux (or in the mood to find weird bugs in other platforms)
[ ] Familiar with compiling C projects and chasing their dependencies
[ ] Familiar with running Python projects and chasing their dependencies
[ ] Patience to push through various import error messages that might appear

The above are not mandatory but if you don't check out all the boxes you might
encounter various errors and roadblocks that will frustrate. Actually... even
if you check out all these boxes you might encounter various errors that might
frustrate you.

== Some theory ==

In any case, if you want to learn more about the architecture of Onionbalance, see:
   https://blog.torproject.org/cooking-onions-finding-onionbalance

As part of this guide, you might hear me say the term "frontend" which is what
we call master onionbalance onion service instance (whose address clients type
on their browser), or the term "backend" which is the load balancing instances
that do the actual introduction/rendezvous work for the frontend. So for
example, in the visual below, Alice fetches the frontend's descriptor but does
the introduction/rendezvous with the backends:

+                                                                              +
+   			 Alice fetches frontend     +^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+     +
+     +~~~~~~~~~~+    descriptor     +~~~~~~+      HSDir hash ring       )     +
+     | Alice    +~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+      +vvvvvvvvvvvv+vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv+     +
+     |          |                                       |                     +
+     |the client|      +-----------+                    |                     +
+     +~~~+~~~~~~+      |backend    |                    | Upload frontend     +
+         |             |instance 1 +-------+            |    descriptor       +
+         | 		    +-----------+       |            |                     +
+   	  | 		                        |    +-------+-----------+         +
+   	  | 		    +-----------+       +----+                   |         +
+   	  +~~~~~~~~~~~~~+backend    |            |     frontend      |         +
+   Alice does          |instance 2 +------------+     onionbalance  |         +
+   introduction        +-----------+       +----+     service       |         +
+   with backend                            |    +-------------------+         +
+   				    +-----------+       |                                  +
+   				    |backend    +-------+                                  +
+   				    |instance 3 |                                          +
+   				    +-----------+                                          +
+                                                                              +

OK enough with theory. Let's jump to practice:

== Installation instructions ==

For the purposes of this guide I will assume you have a frontend service and
a bunch of backend instances that you want to load balance.

==== Setup frontend service ====

Our first goal is to get onionbalance and Tor running on your frontend
service.

- Installing Tor

Let's start: SSH to your frontend service, and get yourself a Tor binary to use
as the control port for onionbalance. You will want a recent version of Tor
(above 0.4.2) but other than that there is no strict requirement. Feel free to
get it off your package manager or git.

Setup a minimal torrc with a control port enabled. As an example:
"""
SocksPort 0
ControlPort 127.0.0.1:6666
DataDirectory /home/user/frontend_data/
"""

Feel free to tweak your torrc as you feel (also enable logging), but for the
purposes of this guide I assume that your control port is at 127.0.0.1:6666.

- Running onionbalance for the first time

Now we need to run onionbalance and generate keys and a config file for
it. Here the fun starts:

Let's start by git cloning 'https://github.com/asn-d6/onionbalance'.

To run onionbalance v3 you are gonna need a bunch of fun Python dependencies
including (but perhaps not limited to):
- Python3 above 3.7
- Python3 packages for: pyyaml, pycrypto, setproctitle, future
- stem version 1.8 or up (so that it includes v3 support)

Please collect all the above whichever way you prefer: if you don't have them,
things are gonna crash at some point. There is no dependency tracking for v3
onionbalance right now (i.e. requirements.txt) so I don't enforce the above in
an elegant way.

Now that you are good to go with dependencies, feel free to install
onionbalance using the setup.py script, or you can run it from the source
directory if you prefer that.

Now is the time to create keys and a config file for your frontend
service. Let's do that by running the configuration wizard:

         $ python3 onionbalance-config.py

It should ask you if you want v3 or v2 (say v3!), and a bunch of other
questions and by the end you should have a config file somewhere (by default at
./config/master/config.yaml) and the corresponding frontend key file (again at
./config/master/*key). The onion address of your frontend service can be found
in the bottom of your config file. So if it says:
     key: wrxdvcaqpuzakbfww5sxs6r2uybczwijzfn2ezy2osaj7iox7kl7nhad.key
your onion address is "wrxdvcaqpuzakbfww5sxs6r2uybczwijzfn2ezy2osaj7iox7kl7nhad.onion"
For now, note down the onion address of the frontend service and let's move on
to the next step! Make sure you got a v3 onion address out of this process,
otherwise something went wrong.

If you got to this stage without any major turbulance, you will end up with a
functional onionbalance in no time. If you had lots of problems so far, brew up
some green tea, because there is more fun coming!

==== Setup backend instances ====

OK now with the frontend onion address noted down, let's move to setting up
your backend instances:

SSH to one of your backend instances and let's setup Tor in there! The catch is
that onionbalance v3 backend instances need a very recent version of Tor
because of some issues in the v3 protocol (#32709).

As a matter of fact, the patch required has not yet been merged to upstream Tor
(it will be merged in mid February because we are currently at a code freeze)
so you will need to use my personal repository for now (as indicated by the
last comment in #32709).

So let's git clone 'https://github.com/asn-d6/tor.git' and checkout branch
'ticket32709_044_02'. Build that branch (using the classic './autogen.sh &&
./configure && make' combo) and you should have a Tor binary at ./src/app/tor.
If this doesn't happen, you are gonna need to install various C dependencies
like libssl-dev, libevent-dev, etc.

Now you will need a torrc file for your backend instance. As in onionbalance
v2, the torrc file needs to setup an onion service (and in this case a v3
one). So far so good but here comes the twist:

1) In the end of your torrc file, inside the HiddenService block please add the
   following line: 'HiddenServiceOnionBalanceInstance 1'.

2) Now go in your hidden service directory where the hostname and
   hs_ed25519_public_key files are living (you will need to startup Tor once
   with the onion service enabled for the directory to get created) you need to
   create a new file with the name 'ob_config' that has the following line
   inside:
      'MasterOnionAddress wrxdvcaqpuzakbfww5sxs6r2uybczwijzfn2ezy2osaj7iox7kl7nhad.onion'
    but substitute the onion address with your frontend's onion address.

The points (1) and (2) above are extremely important and if you didn't do them
correctly, nothing is gonna work. If you want to ensure that you did things
correctly, start up Tor, and check that your *info* log file includes the
following line:
     [info] ob_option_parse(): OnionBalance: MasterOnionAddress wrxdvcaqpuzakbfww5sxs6r2uybczwijzfn2ezy2osaj7iox7kl7nhad.onion registered

If you don't see that, then something went wrong. Please try again from the
beginning of this section till you make it! This is the hardest part of the
guide too, so if you can do that you can do anything (fwiw, we are at 75% of
the whole procedure right now).

After you get that, also make sure that your instances are directly reachable
(e.g. using Tor browser). If they are not reachable, then onionbalance won't be
able to see them either and things are not gonna work.

OK, you are done! Now do the same for the other backend instances and note down
the onion addresses of your backend instances because we are gonna need them
for the next and final step.

==== Get it running! ====

OK now let's login back to the frontend server! Go to your onionbalance config
and add your instance addresses in the right fields. In the end it should look
like this (for a setup with 4 backend instances):

"""
services:
- instances:
  - address: 4a2zwxetkje5lwvahfv75arzrctn6bznkwmosvfyobmyv2fc3idbpwyd.onion
    name: node1
  - address: i5aqar7fgqcsqwalwjltrb3w3xyj23ppgsnuzhhkzlhbt5337aw2joad.onion
    name: node2
  - address: uutpxl2cfkk5qa7z4xtgdxssnhutmoo2y2rw6igh5ez4hpxaz4dap7ad.onion
    name: node3
  - address: 5xeigil3hjxltcs3ti4skerhpc252ci7ejynrtm73v3bcbxlfuulsjqd.onion
    name: node4
  key: wrxdvcaqpuzakbfww5sxs6r2uybczwijzfn2ezy2osaj7iox7kl7nhad.key
"""

Now let's fire up onionbalance by running the following command:

   $ python3 onionbalance.py -v info -c config/master/config.yaml -p 6666

If everything went right, onionbalance should start running and after a bit
your frontend service should be reachable!!! You are an onionbalance expert!

If something did not go right, that's OK too, don't get sad because this was
quite complicated. Please check all your logs and make sure you did everything
right according to this guide. Keep on hammering at it and you are gonna get
it. If nothing seems to work, please get in touch with some details and I can
try to help you.

== Now what? ==

Now that you managed to make it work, please monitor your frontend service and
make sure that it's reachable all the time. Check your logs for any errors or
bugs and let me know if you see any. If you want you can make onionbalance
logging calmer by using the '-v warning' switch.

(Also if you see this log message in your frontend Tor logs: "Bug: Unrecognized
signal 132..." that's normal and it will be fixed with #33104).

If you are in the mood for coding feel free to start hacking on onionbalance,
but I would suggest you first get in touch over Github because I'm also working
at it at the same time and it would be a shame if we do duplicate work.

If you find bugs or do any quick bugfixes, please submit them over Github!

If you do code review, please let me know through Github of any issues you find.

Also, if you are gonna be at FOSDEM this upcoming weekend feel free to get in
touch if you have any questions or you want to live test it.

If you have any other feedback, I'd be glad to hear it!

== Next steps ==

I'm gonna be working on this for the next month: fixing bugs, writing
documentation, writing tests, creating packages, submitting and fixing bug
reports in tor and stem etc.

Expect more updates on this mailing list, and also a blog post to
announce the initial launch of the project.

Finally, if there are any errors on this post, I will reply to this thread with
an errata!

Hope this works for you and you have fun onionbalancing your services!

Thanks a lot for the testing and looking forward to your feedback! o/

PS: Major thanks to Donncha for the super clean onionbalance codebase (I did
    not expect to reuse so much code), the Tor network team for the support,
    and Damian for all the work on stem v3 support! Also OTF for the $$$ ;)