[tor-dev] Prop 311: Relay IPv6 Reachability

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Jan 29 21:10:20 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 8:56 AM teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:

Thanks for the followup, Teor!  I have only one comment on the changes:

> I made these useful features "may not" in:
> https://github.com/torproject/torspec/pull/103/commits/2662c688170696fbed2ba7e4dfa7f33ccf702435

We should avoid "may not" in standards documents because it can be
ambiguous.  "Nick may not eat breakfast" can mean either that I'm not
allowed to eat breakfast, or that it's possible I won't eat breakfast.

I think this is the reason why RFC 2119 does not include "MAY NOT" as
an option.  Let's use "should not" or "or "may refrain from" or "might
not" as appropriate?

best wishes,
--
Nick