[tor-dev] Updates to Prop306: A Tor Implementation of IPv6 Happy Eyeballs

teor teor at riseup.net
Wed Jan 15 13:28:01 UTC 2020

Dear Tor Developers,

Neel and I have spent some time working on proposal 306: A Tor
Implementation of IPv6 Happy Eyeballs. I think we now have a proposal
that covers all the essential changes to get Tor clients working on IPv4
and IPv6 networks.

Here is a summary of the most recent changes:

Include extra designs and analysis for:
* bootstrapping
* load-balancing
* onion services (particularly v3 single onion services)

I was surprised when I did the load-balancing analysis. Deploying this
proposal across the Tor network would result in 33% of client load going
to the 20% of guards that support IPv6.

Therefore, we need to prioritise IPv6 relay support, before we can
implement or deploy this proposal. Fortunately, RIPE has awarded Tor a
grant to work on IPv6 relay support in 2020.

Here is the full load-balancing analysis:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/306-ipv6-happy-eyeballs.txt#n142

And here is a link to some information about the RIPE IPv6 grant:
(We'll have more information once we've roadmapped the grant work)
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2019-December/017960.html

We also simplified the proposal:
* tweaked the design to match Tor's standard design patterns,
* identified essential and optional changes,
* noted that bridge changes are out of scope, and
* removed alternative designs that were in earlier drafts.

We've been working in this ticket and pull request:
https://github.com/torproject/torspec/pull/102

Let's open new tickets for any further changes.

See the end of this email for a full copy of the proposal.

> On 27 Dec 2019, at 12:23, Neel Chauhan <neel at neelc.org> wrote:
>
> Sorry for the 10-day delay, again. I was busy since I'm moving across the US. Well, I got my first full time job!

Congratulations on the job, Neel!

And thanks so much for your patience with this proposal.

> However, I'm worried I removed something you may feel is necessary.

I'm really happy with what you removed, and listed as optional. I did
a final check, and found some statistics in the old draft that might
still be useful. So I added them back before merging.

Here's a full copy of the current proposal.
Feel free to comment inline.

Filename: 306-ipv6-happy-eyeballs.txt
Title: A Tor Implementation of IPv6 Happy Eyeballs