[tor-dev] Making Tor's CI Faster

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 13 10:50:21 UTC 2020

I know gitlab.com has been working on IPv6 support everywhere, I'm not
sure if they are at 100% yet.  Have you tried there?  That would give CI
runs on GNU/Linux.

Also, https://eclips.is supports IPv6 in Amsterdam, so if Tor has
credits there, then running a gitlab-runner there would be relatively
straightforward.

.hc

teor:
> Hi,
>
> Want to help make Tor's CI go faster?
>
> As part of the Sponsor 55 IPv6 work, I need to run Chutney IPv6 tests
> on every Tor commit, as part of Tor's CI.
>
> We're currently running these tests with fast_finish, because:
> * Travis CI only has IPv6 on macOS
> * macOS Chutney tests take 20-45 minutes in Travis CI
> But fast_finish requires allow_failure.
>
> We can't have allow_failure on code that's we're modifying every day,
> so I'm going to make the Travis IPv6 Chutney job mandatory.
>
> To speed up CI after this change, I'm going to make a new IPv6-only
> test-network target, and run it in the macOS CI:
>
> I've also identified one redundant Travis CI job that we can delete:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/33195#comment:3
>
> Overall, these changes should reduce total CI runtime by 20-35
> minutes. Due to parallelism, the wall clock time should reduce by
> 10-35 minutes. We can squeeze the most benefit from the parallelism
> by sorting jobs in speed order (longest first):
>
> If you have any other ideas for making Tor's CI go faster, please let
> me know.
>
> Slow CI is a particular issue for backports, because each 0.3.5
> backport updates 9 branches:
>   * {maint,release}-{0.3.5,0.4.1,0.4.2,0.4.3} and
>   * master.

> --
> teor

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556