[tor-dev] Proposal 328: Make Relays Report When They Are Overloaded

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Wed Dec 9 15:09:51 UTC 2020

On 07 Dec (15:36:53), Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 03:06:43PM -0500, David Goulet wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Attached is a proposal from Mike Perry and I. Merge requsest is here:
> >
> > https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/core/torspec/-/merge_requests/22
> >
> > Cheers!
> > David
>
> Nice!
>
> Is there a way to distinguish "not overloaded" from "does not support
> this extension"?  (Ideally in a better way than checking the tor release
> version number and inferring when support was added?)

Gooood point.

So in theory, we have protocol version[1] in order to differentiate relays but
I do not believe such a change would be a wise thing to use a new "Desc="
since tor will just ignore the unknown fields.

The other reason for that is that "tor functionalities" as in to function
properly won't depend on that descriptor field so it is a bit a stretch to
justify this as a new protocol version :S ...

So yeah, either one looks at the tor version or "you don't see it, not
overloaded" which is ofc a lie until the entire network migrates. We expect
our sbws (bandwidth scanner tool) to be the main customer for this.

Cheers!
David

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/tor-spec.txt#n2073

--
eWhbmX7lAl8F3ismKUL2eOiPlbv5U/7klKILIHs/590=