[tor-dev] How do Ed25519 relay IDs look like?

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Aug 4 23:11:58 UTC 2020

> I hope we can agree to use the same format in all places.

Thanks nusenu, that's a great summary. Honestly I doubt that
deprecating RSA keys is on anyone's visible horizon, and by extension
RSA-based fingerprints will remain our canonical identifiers for the
foreseeable future.

That leaves our present default position as "ed25519 public identity
keys are a base64 encoded descriptor field that has no relationship to
fingerprints, but might become the basis for them in the future".

That said, I'm happy to discuss this topic further if Nick or the
Network team would like to do so.