[tor-dev] How do Ed25519 relay IDs look like?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Aug 1 10:09:44 UTC 2020

nusenu:
>> The only question that came up was: Will there be two types of relay fingerprints
>> in the future (Ed25519)?
>
> I assume the correct proposal for the Ed25519 keys is this:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/220-ecc-id-keys.txt
>
> I'm wondering what kind of format is used for a relay's Ed25519 ID in tor?
>
> The spec says base64:
>
>>    When an ed25519 signature is present, there MAY be a "master-key-ed25519"
>>    element containing the base64 encoded ed25519 master key as a single
>>    argument.  If it is present, it MUST match the identity key in
>>    the certificate.
>
> examples:
> grep master-key-ed 2020-07-28-19-05-00-server-descriptors |head -2
>
> master-key-ed25519 clT/2GWmTY/qU5TBGaudAIjOUUxUdKhMY/Q5riK6G2E
> master-key-ed25519 qDI9PbwtiKzpR9phLnWI99uimdwNW8+l9c7hDoWV9dQ
>
> Is this the canonical format you use when referring to a relay's Ed25519 identity?

I looked at what stem does in this area [1].
It uses the more accurate name "ed25519_master_key" instead of Ed25519 ID
and contains the above mentioned base64 encoded Ed25519 public master key
so I assume this is the canonical format since I didn't see any other representation.

> What command does a relay operator need to run to find out
> his relay's Ed25519 ID on the command line?

base64 encoding (parts of) the ed25519_master_id_public_key
file, provides the same output as in master-key-ed25519 descriptor lines
but I didn't find a spec for that key file to confirm the try and error approach
or a tor command to simply output the ed25519_master_key public key in base64 format.

kind regards,
nusenu

[1] https://stem.torproject.org/api/descriptor/server_descriptor.html#stem.descriptor.server_descriptor.RelayDescriptor
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/cert-spec.txt

These are the file paths I would suggest for the well-known registry:
.well-known/tor-relay/rsa-fingerprints
.well-known/tor-relay/ed25519-pubkeys

--
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu