[tor-dev] Tor Relay wont connect to private IP address

Eli Vakrat eli at vakrat.com
Tue Apr 28 17:50:23 UTC 2020

Hey guys!

So thanks to teor's insightful response yesterday I decided to try to run a
second tor relay (my middle node) on my private network.

Unfortunately, I can't do it with Chutney because my python client is
running on a windows machine. But I do have 3 machines at my disposal:

1. A windows machine (the python client)
2. A mac (the guard node)
3. Another mac (the middle node)

However, after connecting all three machines to my private LAN (meaning
they now all have local IP addresses), the EXTEND from the guard node to
the middle node fails.

When my guard node tries to connect to my middle node after receiving from
the client a RELAY_EXTEND cell, the guard node logs the following error:

Apr 28 17:00:31.000 [info] circuit_extend: Client asked me to extend to a
private address
Apr 28 17:00:31.000 [info] circuit_receive_relay_cell:
connection_edge_process_relay_cell (away from origin) failed.
Apr 28 17:00:31.000 [info] command_process_relay_cell:
circuit_receive_relay_cell (forward) failed. Closing.

So regarding this, I have two questions:

1. Is there a way for me to change something in my torrc file to override
this error and allow my relay to extend to private IP addresses?

My torrc is currently configured as such (Notice I put some place holders
for the drectories and for the ip address tha aren't actually whats written
there):

ContactInfo e <draftkingschaching at gmail.com>mail at example.com

ControlPort 9051

DataDirectory </path/to/data/dir>

ExitPolicy reject *:*

ExitRelay 0

GeoIPFile </path/to/geo/ip/file>

GeoIPv6File </path/to/geo/ipv6/file>

Log notice file <path/to/log/dirs/>/notice.log

Log debug file <path/to/log/dirs/>/debug.log

Log warn file <path/to/log/dirs/>/warn.log

Nickname vtoria

ORPort 443 NoAdvertise

ORPort Relay.Public.IP.Example:443 <http://79.183.54.194:443/> NoListen

SafeLogging 0

ExtendAllowPrivateAddresses 1

2. Would there maybe be a better way to run this private tor network
(without chutney)?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Eli