[tor-dev] New python Tor client implementation

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Oct 22 21:27:18 UTC 2019

> 1. A number of python implementations I've found on the internet had
> broken dependencies or didn't work at all. So, I decided to create a
> fully functional Tor client with the bare minimum of dependencies.

Ah! Gotcha. For what it's worth I'm in complete agreement with you on
that. I designed Stem to avoid any hard dependencies [1] for the exact
same reason.

> 2. Up until now I thought Stem was just a library to control the Tor
> process. As it said at front of https://stem.torproject.org:
> "With it you can use Tor's control protocol to script against the Tor
> process". Unfortunately API docs didn't help me to see that certain Tor
> primitives were indeed implemented.

Makes sense. Stem's client functionality is relatively new. I
implemented enough to download descriptors [2], but there's still a
lot of room to grow [3].

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://stem.torproject.org/faq.html#does-stem-have-any-dependencies
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/commit/?id=820881a