[tor-dev] introduce some customization on the tbb

Richard Pospesel richard at torproject.org
Wed Nov 13 18:03:07 UTC 2019

Hey Sarpedon,

The tor-browser-build project (
https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-build.git/ ) can be
used to build tor-browser for all the various environments, and you can
updated the /projects/firefox/config file to point to your own git repo
and commit for development. Unfortunately this is not particularly fast,
but it's really the only way to go if you need builds for platforms
other than Linux.

Alternatively, you can just build tor-browser (
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/ ), and copy the relevant
bits over an existing tor-browser install. This is the workflow I use
during development on Linux and is generally pretty straight forward to
use once you have scripts setup to do the deploying.

It's theoretically possible to get this sort of incremental build setup
working for other platforms (ie building windows bins in a linux dev
environment), but it's a pain and would require delving into the
tor-browser-build firefox build and config scripts. I've done it before
for our older windows build target (before we switched to clang and
friends) and can give you some tips on how to do that if necessary.

The Tor Browser Hacking Guide should be a good resource as well, though
it is a living document so might be out of date:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking

If you're interested in updating/improving/adding to the
about:preferences#tor pane, than you can start by looking at this commit
which added the page:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/commit/?h=tor-browser-68.2.0esr-9.5-1&id=bea7e61c120f207e7e1a65041b44dc1998e3656a

In general, the relevant things there are in:

/browser/components/torpreferences/*
/browser/modules/TorProtocolService.jsm
/browser/modules/TorStrings.jsm

What sort of improvements are you looking to add? If you're interested
in submitting a patch, you should open a ticket that tracks whatever
feature you're looking to add. There we can give you early code and
design/UX feedback to improve the odds of us accepting your patch :)

best,
-Richard