[tor-dev] introduce some customization on the tbb

sarpedon montecarlo sarpedon000 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 00:04:32 UTC 2019

Hello to the community!
my first question is that is there a solution for rapid development of tbb?
i was wondering that each time a contributor wants to change something in
the tbb or add extra functionality, they have to go through the build
process which i just guess would be very time consuming. i was wondering
that is there any containerized environment for this? any docker ecosystem
available or other solutions that might help?
my second question is about the changes that i want to implement. i am
interested into the graphical settings page about bridges and tor process
that currently tbb is exposing to the end users. if we want to add more
functionality into this settings page, where should we start to change? and
is there any possibility that we may have some control over the underlying
tor process as well, for instance controlling it's launching or it's torrc
configuration; because as i see, there must be a link between the graphical
interface of tbb and the underlying tor process so that is the way we can
control bridges for instance. similar to this i was planning to add more
graphical options to the interface for controlling other configuration
aspects of the tor process through it's torrc or other workarounds.
in the past i have achieved this by writing a browser extension that
benefits from native messaging for communication to the tor process; but
this is not really performance friendly and an intuitive experience for the
end users.i am not satisfied with the result. so i was interested on
mirroring these functionalities inside tbb.
i really appreciate your insights and thoughts on the matter,
have a great day,
Sarpedon.