[tor-dev] TrackTor - GUI Based Implementation for Monitoring Tor

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue May 21 09:26:52 UTC 2019

Hi Harsh,

> On 12 May 2019, at 20:57, Harsh Gandhi <2015ucp1011 at mnit.ac.in> wrote:
>
> We are under-graduate students from Malaviya National Institute of Technology currently pursuing Computer Science & Engineering.
>
> We have developed a GUI Based Tool for monitoring TOR (inspired by Nyx). We have packaged and uploaded the same on,
>
> PyPI - https://pypi.org/project/TrackTor/
>
> Please do give it a try and suggest for improvements.

Looks interesting!

If your software works on tor relays, you could also write to tor-relays at lists.torproject.org and ask relay operators if they want to try it.

Using "Tor" in the name of the software might confuse people:

"Please don't use Tor in your product name or domain name. Instead, find a name that will accurately identify your products or services. … our goal is to make sure that people aren't confused about whether your product or project is made or endorsed by The Tor Project."

https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en

Would you mind choosing a different name?

> Also, please let us know on how can we incorporate/integrate this with The Tor Project?

Tor is a community with an supporting non-profit organisation. We make software, run relays, and help people be private, secure, and uncensored on the internet.

Did you want to join the Tor community?
Keep working on this software, and let us know how you go.
That's how lots of people become part of the community.

Did you want us to recommend your software?
We try to recommend software that is well-maintained, has multiple users, and community support. But that takes time.

How long do you expect to maintain it?