[tor-dev] Network Health Monitoring

David Goulet dgoulet at torproject.org
Wed May 15 12:40:14 UTC 2019

On 08 May (13:27:31), Iain Learmonth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on #28322 to improve the monitoring of Tor Metrics services,
> but this also has the side effect of monitoring network health. For
> example, we'd like to know when Onionoo messes up and starts reporting
> zero relays, but we also get to learn for free in the same check how
> many relays we have and alert if that number does something weird.
>
> What would be the most useful checks to add here?
>
> * Range of expected total relays
> * Range of expected relays with Guard flag
> * Range of expected relays with Exit flag
> * Range of expected consensus weight in each position

For all of them, what could be reported is if a large fraction disappears all
the sudden.

Loosing for instance 500 relays at once is something worth our attention imo.
Same goes with Exit relays... if we drop from 900 to 500, it is scary.

For the consensus weight, I would report the outliers. Maybe someone is gaming
us and so a HUGE values compared to our top usual 10 means something is up.

As what are the good values, I don't know but I think you can probably figure
out the average relay we loose/gain every day and scale that like 3 times for
a warning?

Cheers!
David

--
5D7/m3SvifEYtSvoScZjTsoU0qnbEZd59Iy2b96YR+s=