[tor-dev] My implementation of hash for controller password - torhash

Damon H. (TheDcoder) TheDcoder at disroot.org
Wed May 8 18:22:42 UTC 2019

Hello again,

I did my research and I was able to rewrite the code
<https://github.com/TheDcoder/torhash/tree/openssl> (branched as
openssl) using OpenSSL's libcrypto for hashing, but I was unsatisfied
due to a few reasons which I think are not worth mentioning (mainly how
libcrypto's API is designed and its dependencies).

After some more looking around for a good cryptography library, I found
LibTomCrypt which sounded just like what I was looking for... and I was
right! It is what I was looking for, it has minimal dependencies and is
cross-platform. The API is also much simpler and cleaner (IMHO) than
libcrypto. So I went ahead and rewrote the code
<https://github.com/TheDcoder/torhash/commit/d0bef22e4ac48b3e220ffbdd463ccae4b976d86d>
again to use LibTomCrypt and it worked a treat.

I have finished the proof of concept by implementing
<https://github.com/TheDcoder/torhash/commit/39f24db29a46105eb022cfe626680c803069b223>
a reasonably secure random salt with the help of LibTomCrypt's secure
prng interface which uses platform-native methods (and an ANSI C method
as a fallback) to generate random bytes.

I assume the code is production ready at the moment. Though I would be
happy to hear any input that you guys might have to offer :)

Regards,
Damon H. (TheDcoder)