[tor-dev] Updating Proposal 299 (Preferring IPv4 or IPv6 based on IP Version Failure Count)

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Wed Mar 6 23:07:30 UTC 2019

Hi teor,

The GitHub PR is here: https://github.com/torproject/torspec/pull/61

> Just so you know:
>
> Tor Browser is going to test the #27940 version of
> ClientAutoIPv6ORPort
> in their alpha series, as a potential fix for IPv6 failures:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/29641#comment:4
>
> I expect that #27940 will trigger some bugs in the guard code, because
> all
> connections for an entire IP version will fail. Then we can teach the
> guard
> code to ignore those kinds of failures.
>
> But that will mean that Tor Browser is depending on
> ClientAutoIPv6ORPort.
> So we will also need to add a new option to activate the code for this
> proposal.
> (Otherwise, we won't know if this proposal is better or worse!)

Makes sense. After all, IPv4/IPv6 selection is complex it something this
complicated shouldn't be a "one size fits all".

> Here's one way we could do that:
>
> Add a new option ClientAutoIPv6ORPortStrategy, which takes some flags.
> When no flags are set (the default), we use the original
> ClientAutoIPv6ORPort.
> Then we add a flag for this proposal:
>   - TrackFailures
>
> Then other tickets can use other flags:
>   - CheckLocalAddresses for
>      #27492 Try IPv4 or IPv6 more often based on public or private IP
> addresses
>   - CheckConsensus for
>     #27647 When randomly choosing IPv4 or IPv6, set IPv6 probability
> based on IPv6 weight
>
> What do you think?
> Would you like to make these changes to this proposal?

These additions sound good.

I have added the "TrackFailures" flag to my GitHub PR and also mentioned
other flags will come in the future.

-Neel

===

https://www.neelc.org/